M.A. Social Design & Sustainable Innovation
What you learn in the M.A. Social Design
The Master's degree in Social Design & Sustainable Innovation challenges the current system and thinks design from the perspective of the social and planetary state of emergency. The goal: the education of a new, radical, revolutionary generation of designers.
You will work with practices such as artistic research, cooperation, co-creation and other methods of qualitative research. The overall goals are fairness, transparency and sustainability.
Your course content in detail
Social design, social campaigning, corporate design in a social context, socially engaged art, digital innovation, social design theory and design practice in the context of visual communication, editorial design, photography, film and web development and design thinking form the cornerstones of the programme. Within these key themes, you will work with collaborative partners from the (creative) industries and other organisations on social innovations, campaigns and design solutions for a sustainable future. In projects with real-world partners, you will design effective solutions and concrete visions for a better world.
Think and design socially and innovatively
Social Design & Sustainable Innovation can mean a significant difference in cultural and business organisation, leading to more real and digital innovation. The professional skills are derived from mastering the respective design disciplines paired with methodologies of social change that are combined.
Graduates open up traditional and new design professions with an extended and scientifically sound design, thinking and action approach. They work as art directors, designers, consultants, project managers, web developers, change managers, curators for companies and institutions. The Master of Arts degree prepares students for a doctoral or PhD degree programme, which opens the way in particular to academic careers in teaching and research.
Projects by our students
SRH Stories Get inspired
Study Plan MA Social Design & Sustainable Innovation Your curriculum
- Social Design Science + Practices A 5
- Design Research 5
- Social Campaigning 5
- Art, Society + Change 5
- Marketing and Branding 5
- Profession and Best Practice I 5
- Social Design Science + Practices B 5
- Sustainable Innovation I 5
- Sustainable Innovation II 5
- Social Design Internship 5
- Sociology and Branding 5
- Profession and Best Practice II 5
- Design Thinking / Research 5
- Design Thinking / Synthesis and Creation 5
- Design Thinking / Realisation and Prototyping 5
- Social Design Manifesto + Portfolio 5
- Design Practices 5
- Profession and Best Practice III 5
- Master's Thesis + Colloquium 30
Chat with our students.
Do you want firsthand information? Our students are happy to share their experiences with you, tell you about their courses, their projects and student life in Berlin, Hamburg and Dresden.
Full-Flex Offer | For international students only
Are you worried that Covid-19 might affect your academic future? Are you facing visa delays and travel restrictions? Take advantage of our offer to start your studies in April 2021 in virtual format and receive a reward!
The Master's in Social Design & Sustainable Innovation is aimed at graduates of all disciplines. The admission requirement is a completed first degree. Students applying from abroad are requested to provide proof of adequate English language skills, both verbal and written (level B2 minimum). Applicants also undergo a selection procedure.
Checklist for your online application:
- official copy of your university or college degree certificate
- transcript of records
- proof of English language proficiency
- curriculum vitae
- two to three creative works on the topic of "Why change?", in the form of film, text, photo, illustration or in another creative form of expression
Admission requirements in detail
Here are the English requirements you should bring along:
- Pearson English Test Academic (PTE-A) 59 points
- Duolingo 95 Pts
- TOEFL 87 ibt (direct recording)
- TOEFL 79 - 86 ibt (with additional agreement)
- TOEIC 785 (Listening/Reading 785, Speaking 160, Writing 150)
- IELTS (academic) 6.5 average - deviations from this rule are governed by the current version of the Language Centre's guidelines
- CAE (grade A, B, or C)
- CPE (grade A, B or C)
- FCE (grade A, B or C)
Fees and Funding
Your tuition fees
As a state-recognised, private university, the SRH Berlin University is financed by tuition fees. This revenue goes towards equipping our campus, providing services for our students, and quality assurance. In this way we ensure that you receive the best possible education under optimal study conditions.
- citizenship | EU/EEA (incl. Switzerland, Western Balkans): EUR 800 / month
- citizenship | Non-EU/EEA: EUR 5400 / semester
The monthly/semester tuition fees remain the same for the entire duration of the study programme.
An additional enrolment fee of EUR 500 (EU/EEA) / EUR 900 (non-EU/EEA) is to be paid once at the start of the programme.
Funding in detail
Application process and deadlines
We are happy to welcome you to our university. This is our application process:
- You submit your online application via the SRH Application Portal
- If you meet the admission requirements, we will invite you to a personal/phone interview
- If the interview is successful, you will receive an acceptance letter and the study contract
- You sign the study contract and send it back to us
- You pay the enrolment fee (all students) and – if you are a non-EU/non-EEA student – the 3-month deposit
- You will receive your letter of admission
- You take part in our Welcome Week and then you are good to go!
Get started now Your path into the future
- You will take part in a step-by-step learning experience
- You will study in small teams through practice-oriented tasks
- You can concentrate on what is important in 5-week blocks
- You will receive individual support from your lecturers