Study Abroad

NEWS Application deadlines for places at partner universities

Summer semester 2023:

15 August 2022


Winter semester 2023/24:

15 February 2023


Please send your application documents via email to:


Further information on the necessary application documents and the application process can be found ...

Info Session "Study Abroad"

Monday 20.06.2022 - 17.30 o´clock - Info Meet Up! Auslandsstudium - Bewerbung und Finanzierung (German) Link


Friday 01.07.2022 - 10.00 o´clock - Info Meet Up!      Study Abroad - Application & Financing (English)           Link

Exchange Programmes
Study at a partner university

The SRH Berlin University of Applied Sciences maintains partnerships with universities from Eastern Europe to North America. We are constantly expanding this network to offer you even more opportunities.

There are several advantages for you from this network:

  • in most cases no additional study and examination fees at the partner universities
  • comprehensive support during the application process
  • possible exchange with former SRH outgoers and current incoming exchange students via your university of choice
  • you are eligible to apply for an Erasmus+ or PROMOS scholarship for your time abroad

How to apply? A guide. Step by step to the university of your choice

Selection process and nomination

Please download the Application form study abroad. Complete the form and submit it to the International Office together with the required documents (list on the last page of the form) by the application deadline.

Places at partner universities are limited. If applications for a partner university exceed the number of available places, a selection process will take place.

These rules apply:

  • we consider applications received by the application deadline.
  • a semester abroad is intended to promote intercultural exchange. Therefore, we give lower priority to applications from students who wish to go to their home country (example: you are a French citizen and would like to spend your semester abroad in Paris).

Each application can reach a maximum of 100 points in the selection process (+20 bonus points). The score is made up of the following categories:

1. overall impression of the application (max. 25 points)
2. academic achievements: grade point average (max. 30 points)
3. knowledge of the language of instruction of the host university (max. 30 points)
4. letter of motivation (max. 15 points)
5. bonus points: social and ecological commitment (max. 20 bonus points)

For detailed information on how the criteria are assessed, please contact the International Office.

Based on these selection criteria, an individual score is calculated for each student. Students with the highest score will be awarded a place at the university which they have named as their first priority in their application. Once the available places at a university have been filled, the applicant with a lower score will be awarded their second or third choice.

In the event that two students with the same score would like to go to the same university, but there is only one free place left, the Abitur grade will be included in the evaluation. We will inform you as soon as possible about our selection.

Then step 2 in the application procedure will follow.

Application at the partner university, choice of courses and Erasmus+ scholarship

Application at the partner university
Once you have received your official nomination for a place at the partner university from SRH, you can prepare your application documents for your host university. The partner university for which you have been nominated determines which documents you have to submit at this time.

If you complete all the application documents in full and submit them by the deadline, your application usually will be accepted by the partner university without any problems. In the end, however, it is the host university that has the final say in selecting its exchange students.

Course selection and confirmation of your courses
To ensure that your courses from abroad are credited by the SRH Berlin University of Applied Sciences and that you can receive ECTS for them, you should have your choice of course confirmed by your study programme director before you leave.

Documents for your Erasmus+  or PROMOS scholarship
As soon as you are accepted by a partner university, the International Office at the SRH will send you an email with all necessary information on how to apply for an Erasmus+ or PROMOS scholarship, including the application deadline.

More details on Erasmus+ and PROMOS please see below.

Preparing for your stay abroad

As soon as you have been officially accepted by the partner university, you will receive an acceptance letter. Now you can start the final preparations for your stay abroad: apply for a visa (if necessary), make sure you have sufficient insurance coverage for the host country (health, accident, travel and liability insurance), find accommodation, make travel arrangements, etc. You can also ask the International Office at your host university for advice on how to proceed.

What do I have to consider after my return from my stay abroad?

You must submit the following documents to the SRH International Office no later than 30 days after your last day of study abroad:

  • A written report (German or English, 2-4 pages, with photos if you wish) about your study experience abroad with information about your preparations, accommodation, courses at your host university, everyday life in your host country and a general feedback on your experiences. The report may be made available anonymously to other interested students.
  • An official transcript of the courses you have completed as well as grades and credit points you have received abroad (issued by the host university and forwarded to the Examinations Office at SRH for grade conversion).
  • Erasmus+ and PROMOS students must submit additional documents (the International Office will inform you about it)

We would be pleased if you would be willing to share your experiences with other SRH students after your return.

Your financing options Scholarships for exchange programmes

Into the world as a free mover Tips for your individual study abroad

Of course you can also study at a university that is not a partner university of SRH Berlin. However, going abroad as a so-called free mover means more effort for you.

This step-by-step guide will help you with the planning:

First decide on the country or city where you would like to study. Look at the existing universities and choose the one that suits you best.

Make sure that the university of your choice is on the same level of quality and has the same academic standards as SRH Berlin. Make sure that the university is accredited (H+ status).

Contact the International Office at the university of your choice to find out about study abroad opportunities and requirements for foreign students. Ask for the application documents, course lists and course descriptions as well as the application deadline.

The courses you choose must be comparable to the courses you would choose at SRH Berlin at the same time (unless you are an AKM student). This refers to the course content and the credit points you receive for it. Compare the curriculum of your host university with the curriculum of the SRH Berlin to find out which courses at your host university come into question. Let your programme director/academic coordinator help you with this. Remember that the courses you take abroad will only be recognised towards your SRH degree if the courses have been confirmed by the SRH Examinations Office BEFORE the start of your semester abroad.


Submit your complete application directly to the host university before the application deadline.

Prepare your examination request and submit it to the Examinations Office. If you have any questions, please contact the Examinations Office.

Unfortunately, students who wish to go to a university that is not one of our Erasmus partner universities do not receive financial support through the Erasmus programme. If your host university charges tuition fees, you will be required to pay two sets of fees - both overseas and at SRH Berlin. However, you may be eligible for other financial support, for example the Auslands-BAFÖG.

As soon as you have completed your studies abroad, please send your transcript from the host university to the Examinations Office in order to convert your grades.

Your financing options Scholarships for a semester abroad as a free mover

Since there are no partnership agreements with SRH, you have to bear the costs of your semester abroad yourself, i.e. tuition fees abroad, living expenses and travel costs. Nonetheless, there are several other financing options, such as:

Your preparation General FAQs on studying abroad

When can I go abroad?

You can apply for a semester or year abroad from the 2nd semester onwards. Most programmes have a lead time of about one year and often start in the winter semester.

For Bachelor's students, the 2nd or 3rd academic year is the ideal time for a stay abroad. Master's students should discuss with their programme director when it would be best to arrange their time abroad.

For how long?

Depending on the (scholarship) programme and university, a semester abroad lasts between three and six months, a year abroad usually between eight and ten months. If you would like to study abroad for longer than one semester, the International Office will work with you to find out whether your chosen university offers a 2-semester stay.

At which universities can I study?

In principle, you can study at any university worldwide. However, we recommend that you choose one of our partner universities for your adventure abroad. We cooperate with many universities in and outside Europe.

Why? Because it saves you time, effort and money. For more information scroll down or click on the button.

I want to study at a partner university

Do I need a visa?

Whether you need to apply for a student visa depends on your nationality and the country you want to go to. As the visa regulations and application process vary from country to country, you should clarify as early as possible whether you need a visa or not. You can find information on the website of the embassy of your destination country. Please note that it may take several weeks or months to obtain a visa. In addition, you will have to wait for the confirmation of enrolment from your host university before you can apply for a visa.

To apply for a visa, you need a valid passport/ID.

Do I need health insurance for the country in which I want to study?

You are responsible for your own insurance coverage. Your health insurance coverage should be valid for the entire time you spend in the host country. European Union citizens who wish to study in another EU country should be insured through the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). It is best to contact your health insurance company before your stay abroad to check whether you have sufficient insurance coverage.

We also advise you to take out valid accident and liability insurance for the host country, as well as travel insurance that covers repatriation. If you take part in the Erasmus programme, you can take out the DAAD group insurance at your own expense. The DAAD Group Insurance Scheme includes health, accident and liability insurance. You can find more information on the DAAD website.

Insurance via DAAD

How do I finance my stay abroad?

Studying abroad always costs more than studying in your home country. Flight tickets, additional international health insurance, expensive accommodation and living costs quickly exceed the limits.

Fortunately, there are various programmes that can help you finance (a large part of) the costs incurred:   

If you want to study abroad at an Erasmus partner university, you can qualify for an Erasmus scholarship. Further information on the application can be obtained from the International Office

More about Erasmus

What language skills are required?

In order to successfully complete the courses at your host university, you should have very advanced knowledge of the language of instruction. Most of our partner universities offer courses in English and language courses in the local language.  In addition, it is very useful if you have basic knowledge of the official language of the country. For example, if you want to study in France, you should brush up your French before you start. Some universities expect you to provide proof of sufficient language skills when you apply.

How do I select the appropriate courses at my guest university?

During the application process you will have to indicate which courses you would like to attend at your host university.

Basically, your courses should correspond to the courses you would take at SRH Berlin during this period. Compare the curriculum at the host university with your curriculum here to find suitable courses. Your choice of course must be confirmed by the Examinations Office and your head of study at SRH Berlin and the host university before your stay.

The Examinations Office helps

Questions? We are here for you!

Not getting anywhere with your plans? Then seek advice.