Telling stories and creating cinematic designs. Producing spots, short films and animations. Study (B.A.) Film & Motion Design in Berlin and learn how to direct, revise and post-produce movies and transport them to the big screen.
Your studies | B.A. Film & Motion Design Designing and producing films
Our B.A. Film & Motion programme is your ticket to the movie industry. Learn how to write scripts and produce films from the initial idea to screening. We will teach you camera and editing skills, storytelling, directing, post-production and digital techniques as well as 2D and 3D visualisation.
In addition to film theory, dramaturgy, lighting and sound technology, your curriculum will include innovative narrative approaches as well as interactive campaigns, short films, music clips and commercials for the big screen.
Motion design is the movie industry's biggest field of innovation. Combined with traditional film formats, it makes for a unique study programme that teaches professional skills in directing, camera techniques, editing or post-production.
B.A. Film & Motion Design Your career perspectives
The B.A. Film & Motion Design focuses on film and cinematic commissions for the communication industry. The Berlin School of Design and Communication provides you with the latest hardware and software for your film projects. Large studios, a film and motion studio, 4K camera technology, editing and post-production workstations, lighting and sound equipment help you realise your cinematic ideas.
As an expert in audiovisual design, you are a sought-after expert in film production companies, in advertising agencies, communication agencies and TV stations.
Possible careers include:
- Motion designer
- Creative producer
- TV designer
In addition, the internationally-recognised Bachelor of Arts degree gives you access to numerous postgraduate and master's programmes at home and abroad.
Winner & Public Award Winner 2022 Pro Carton Student Video Award
Interview with head of programme Prof. Gilbert Beronneau on participating in and winning the 2022 Pro Carton Student Video Award.
Films by our students
Curriculum B.A. Film & Motion Design Your curriculum
Dramaturgy and Directing I5
Basics of Design I5
Basics of Design II5
Media Lab Photography5
Elective Design I5
Motion Design I5
Sound Design I5
Media Lab Film5
Elective Design II5
Communication Strategy Design5
Dramaturgy and Directing II5
Sound Design II5
Research and Aesthetics I5
Elective Design III5
Film Production I5
Motion Design II5
SRH Lab Project5
Elective Design IV5
Integrated Production I5
Motion Design III5
Research and Aesthetics II5
Film Production II5
Elective Design V5
Integrated Production II5
Entrepreneurship/Media Law/Job Application5
Admission requirements Our requirements
Admission requirements vary according to the educational background and citizenship of all applicants. Our admission requirements are in accordance with German legal stipulations.
The basic requirements are:
- General higher education entrance qualification (Abitur) or university of applied sciences entrance qualification (Fachhochschulreife). In case you have not graduated yet, please apply with your existing transcripts or your latest interim certificate. However, we need your final degree certificate before you can start your studies.
- Portfolio with about 2 - 3 works from the cinematic field (e.g. script, scenic sketches, storyboard or links to finished works on Vimeo or YouTube).
- Proof of English language proficiency
- Copy of your identity card or passport
Fees and Funding Your tuition fees
As a state-recognised, private university, SRH Berlin University of Applied Sciences is financed by tuition fees. This revenue goes towards equipping our campus, providing services for our students, and quality assurance. In this way we ensure that you receive the best possible education under optimal study conditions.
- EUR 690 / month (Citizenship EU/EEA incl. Switzerland, Western Balkans and Ukraine)
- EUR 4,725 / semester (Citizenship non-EU/non-EEA)
- EUR 750 (Citizenship EU/EEA incl. Western Balkans, Switzerland and Ukraine)
- EUR 1000 (Citizenship non-EU/non-EEA)
The monthly/semester tuition fees remain the same for the entire duration of the study programme. More information about our fees.
Information on financing options & scholarships can be found here.
Apply now Application process and deadlines
Please find the Application and Late Arrival deadlines here.
We are happy to welcome you to our university. This is our application process:
- You submit your online application via the SRH application portal
- If you meet the admission requirements, we will invite you to a personal/phone interview
- If the interview is successful, you will receive an acceptance letter and the study contract
- You sign the study contract and send it back to us
- You pay the enrolment fee
- You receive your letter of admission
- You take part in our Welcome Week and then you are good to go!