Design advertising and brands
The B.A. in Advertising & Brand Design is your entry into the international creative industry. You will learn to understand and successfully address target groups, to use text and images consciously and purposefully and to confidently design excellent communication for different media.
From market analysis, innovation development, strategic brand positioning and brand design to the development of convincing advertising campaigns, you will learn all the skills required for an international career start in companies, organisations and agencies.
Berlin as a creative stage and important location of the creative industries is your very special source of inspiration for sustainable and unique creation. Numerous projects are carried out with real partners under professional conditions, so that you have the chance to get plenty of practical experience during your studies.
Career | B.A. Advertising & Brand Design
Brand Design, Art Direction and Strategic Planning
The excellent facilities at the Berlin School of Design and Communication allow you to perfect both your academic and design profile. In studios, film and photo studios, an in-house market research lab and numerous other work spaces, you can test and implement your big ideas for brands and advertising campaigns.
As a creative communication expert, you are just as much in demand in companies and organisations as in media and advertising agencies.
- Strategic planner
- Account manager
- Concept designer
- Copy writer
- Media designer
- Art director
- Content creator
In addition, the internationally-recognised Bachelor of Arts degree gives you access to numerous postgraduate and Master's programmes.
"What I love about the university: We have people from all over the world in our class. We have a flexible schedule, so we have a lot of free time for internships or other projects aside from university. Our teachers treat us students as equals. On top of that, the university supports our ideas: We have access to photo studios, professional equipment and highly-qualified staff that is ready to help. Also, we have a great location at Moritzplatz.
What I love about my Advertising Programme: I, as a foreigner, can learn everything in English and meet people from around the globe. It is a fun mix of marketing, creative work, writing and design. It is very multidimensional and covers a lot of different fields of the media world.
About me: I come from Poland but have lived in Berlin for many years. I wanted to study at BSDC because I loved the atmosphere and the people. I visited the school during open door days and talked with teachers and students. I wanted to study in an international, creative environment. I wanted to explore many faces of the media world. I also won the internship which I will be forever grateful for. I am happy that the Berlin School of Desing and Communication believed in me and my potential!"
B.A. Advertising & Brand Design Curriculum
- Foundations of Design I: Design Principles 5
- Foundations of Design II: Typography I, Photography I, Interactive Design I 5
- Foundations of Design III: Typography II, Photography II, Interactive Design II 5
- Media Lab: Photography Technique, Programme Theory Photography, Programme Theory Design 5
- Consumer + Advertising Psychology: Perception + Activation, Motivation + Attitude 5
- Communication Sciences: Communication Models + Research 5
- Advertising Strategies I: Advertising Techniques, Communication Concept + Positioning 5
- Media + Account Planning: Channel Planning, Budgeting + Art Buying 5
- Marketing I: Business Models, Marketing Management 5
- Creative Strategies: Creativity Techniques, Creative Brief, Big Idea 5
- Elective I 5
- Media Sciences: Media Models + Research 5
- Marketing II: Nonprofit + Social Marketing 5
- Advertising + Society: Intercultural Communication, Cultural Studies 5
- Writing for Advertising I: Rhetorical Stylistic Devices, Text Types, Copy Writing 5
- Brand Design: Corporate Design, Logo Design, Packaging Design 5
- Project/Campaign/Pitch I: Client Project or Creative Award Competition 5
- Market Research I: Quantitative + Qualitative Methods, Survey Design 5
- Advertising Strategies II: Content Strategies, Digital Advertising, Social Media 5
- Brand Strategies: Brand Positioning + Brand Innovation 5
- Elective II 5
- Advertising Film: Production Scheduling, Production, Post Production 5
- Project/Campaign/Pitch II: Client Project or Creative Award Competition 5
- Lab Project 5
- Internship/Semester abroad 25
- Free Project 5
- Writing for Advertising II: Text for Commercials, Crossmedia + Transmedia 5
- Design Lab: Design Trends, Free Design Project 5
- Elective III 5
- Market Research II: Empirical Research 5
- Brand Spaces: Narrative Environments, Exhibition Design 5
- Advertising Futures: Weak Signals + Trends, Trend Analysis 5
- Portfolio: Visual Branding, Portfolio Creation 5
- Application + Career: Preparation + Coaching 5
- Entrepreneurship + Media Law: Business Strategies, Copyright 5
- Writing Workshop/Preparation Thesis 5
- Bachelor's Thesis 10
Your lecturers We help you achieve your goals
Admission requirements vary according to the educational background and citizenship of all applicants. Our admission requirements are in accordance with German legal stipulations.
The basic requirements are:
- General higher education entrance qualification (Abitur) or university of applied sciences entrance qualification (Fachhochschulreife). In case you have not graduated yet, please apply with your existing transcripts or your latest interim certificate. However, we need your final degree certificate before you can start your studies.
- Portfolio with approx. 10 creative works*
- Proof of English language proficiency
- Copy of your identity card or passport
*Your portfolio should show us that you enjoy designing and have an extraordinary creative personality. You can present your ideas, concepts, design work, previous projects, etc. - there are no limits to your creativity!
This is what the admission interview is about:
We would like to get to know you better and learn more about your creativity, your motivation and your vision of the future. You also have the opportunity to ask more detailed questions about the programme and the university. If you are unable to come to Berlin, we will gladly offer you an appointment online.
Here you can find the English requirements that you should bring along:
- Duolingo 95 Pts
- TOEFL 87 ibt (direct recording)
- TOEFL 79 - 86 ibt (with additional agreement)
- TOEIC 785 (Listening/Reading 785, Speaking 160, Writing 150)
- IELTS (academic) 6.5 average - deviations from this rule are governed by the current version of the Language Centre's guidelines
- CAE (grade A, B, or C)
- CPE (grade A, B or C)
- FCE (grade A, B or C)
- Pearson English Test Academic (PTE-A) 59 points
- Linguaskill: 176 - 184 (CES) - all four skills required
You don't feel prepared yet? More information about the Academic English Preparation Course
Fees and Funding
Your tuition fees
As a state-recognised, private university, the SRH Berlin University is financed by tuition fees. These revenues go towards equipping our campus, providing services for our students, and quality assurance. In this way we ensure that you receive the best possible education under optimal study conditions.
Tuition fees (per month or semester)
- EUR 650 / month (Citizenship EU/EEA incl. Switzerland, Western Balkans and Ukraine)
- EUR 4,500 / semester (Citizenship non-EU/non-EEA)
Enrolment fee (once)
- EUR 500 (Citizenship EU/EEA incl. Switzerland, Western Balkans and Ukraine)
- EUR 900 (Citizenship non-EU/non-EEA)
You can finance your advertising studies through BAföG, student loans, education funds and scholarships. The possibilities vary according to nationality. You can find more information under "Financing your studies". Our Student Advisory Service will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Application and entrance examination
Please find the Application and Late Arrival deadlines here.
We look forward to getting to know you. This is our application process:
- You submit your online application via the SRH Universities Application Portal
- If you meet the admission requirements, we will invite you to a selection interview
- If the interview is successful, you will receive an acceptance letter and the study contract
- You sign the study contract and send it back to us
- You pay the registration fee (all students) and possibly the EUR 3000 deposit (non-EU/EEA students only)
- You receive your letter of admission
- You take part in our Welcome Week and then you are good to go!
- You will take part in a step-by-step learning experience
- You will study in small teams through practice-oriented tasks
- You can concentrate on what is important in 5-week blocks
- You will receive individual support from your lecturers