Your course content
What you will learn
A picture is worth a thousand words. Visuals serve as the central communication medium in our B.A. Illustration programme where you’ll learn to tell stories through drawing and to convey messages through imagery. Develop an understanding of the interplay between image and text. Learn methods and techniques of research, conception and visual implementation. Informed by storytelling principles, you’ll develop your own designs for a variety of illustration projects including graphic novels and children's books.
Your course content in detail
Manual printing techniques such as silkscreen, risography and etching make up the curriculum along with digital applications and software, typography, editorial design and editorial illustration. Learn to transport your illustrations to three-dimensional spaces and make them interact with their environment. Help shape tomorrow’s design solutions today.
Our programme encourages you to work with professional clients on real assignments. Find yourself visiting illustration and animation studios on a regular basis for a chance to experience firsthand what it's like to work in the creative industries.
Your career prospects
Our innovative approach that pays off
As an illustrator you can work for all kinds of media companies. Start your own business and offer professional services to cultural and scientific institutions, advertising agencies and publishing houses. In addition, your job profile can include editorial, advisory and coordinating activities.
Illustrate digital and interactive media, print, websites, 3D animations, cartoons and motion pictures, computer games. Create special effects and character designs.
You’ll possess the know-how to craft elaborate narratives for literary works and design children's books, non-fiction and graphic novels for publishing houses.
Our internationally accredited Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree serves as a professional foundation for immediate employment. In addition, the internationally acclaimed Bachelor of Arts degree entitles you to pursue numerous postgraduate and master's degree programmes in Germany and beyond.
Modules B.A. Illustration Your curriculum
- Design Basics I 5
- Design Basics II 5
- Design Basics III 5
- Design / Communication Sciences 5
- Media Lab 5
- Elective 5
- Illustration Basics I 5
- Illustration Basics II 5
- Illustration Basics III 5
- Design / Media Sciences 5
- Character Design 5
- Elective 5
- Animation I 5
- Animation II 5
- Visual Essay 5
- Artistic Research I 5
- Concept Art 5
- Elective 5
- Narrative Illustration I 5
- Narrative Illustration II 5
- Narrative Illustration III 5
- SRH Lab 5
- Editorial Design I 5
- Elective 5
- Internship in Germany or abroad 20
- Independent illustration project 10
- Editorial Illustration I 5
- Editorial Illustration II 5
- Research Colloquium 5
- Artistic Research II 5
- Practical project / Project-oriented work 5
- Elective 5
- Portfolio I 5
- Portfolio II 5
- Entrepreneurship + Media Law 5
- Writing Workshop / Colloquium 5
- Bachelor's Thesis 10
Admission requirements vary according to the educational background and citizenship of all applicants. Our admission requirements are in accordance with German legal stipulations.
The basic requirements are:
- General higher education entrance qualification (Abitur) or university of applied sciences entrance qualification (Fachhochschulreife)
- Portfolio with approx. 20 own creative works*
- Proof of English language proficiency
- Copy of your identity card or passport
*Convince us with your talent: we are looking forward to assessing your portfolio with about 20 of your own creative works. You can upload the portfolio together with your application, send it to us or simply bring it to a personal interview.
Admission requirements in detail
Here are the English requirements you should bring along:
- Duolingo 95 Pts
- TOEFL 87 ibt (direct recording)
- TOEFL 79 - 86 ibt (with additional agreement)
- TOEIC 785 (Listening/Reading 785, Speaking 160, Writing 150)
- IELTS (academic) 6.5 average - deviations from this rule are governed by the current version of the Language Centre's guidelines
- CAE (grade A, B, or C)
- CPE (grade A, B or C)
- FCE (grade A, B or C)
- Pearson English Test Academic (PTE-A) 59 points
Fees and Funding
Your tuition fees
As a state-recognised, private university, SRH Berlin University of Applied Sciences is financed by tuition fees. This revenue goes towards equipping our campus, providing services for our students, and quality assurance. In this way we ensure that you receive the best possible education under optimal study conditions.
- EUR 650 / month (Citizenship EU/EEA incl. Switzerland, Western Balkans)
- EUR 4,500 / semester (Citizenship non-EU/non-EEA)
- EUR 500 (Citizenship EU/EEA incl. Western Balkans, Switzerland)
- EUR 900 (Citizenship non-EU/non-EEA)
Information on financing options & scholarships can be found here.
Application process and deadlines
We are happy to welcome you to our university. This is our application process:
- You submit your online application via the SRH application portal
- If you meet the admission requirements, we will invite you to a personal/phone interview
- If the interview is successful, you will receive an acceptance letter and the study contract
- You sign the study contract and send it back to us
- You pay the enrolment fee (all students) and – if you are a non-EU/non-EEA student - the 3-month deposit
- You will receive your letter of admission
- You take part in our Welcome Week and then you are good to go!
Get started now Your path into the future
- You will take part in a step-by-step learning experience
- You will study in practice-oriented tasks in small teams
- You can concentrate on what's important in 5-week-blocks
- You will receive individual support from your lecturers